Questions on industrial goods packaging or supply chain?
Do you have questions on packaging or supply chain for industrial cargo? Deufol - international expert in industrial goods packaging and logistics - can help you out.
Find answers to frequently asked questions about packaging and supply chain for industrial goods below:
What should I pay attention to when packaging industrial goods for export?
It is essential that your industrial goods arrive at their destination in perfect condition. Choosing the right packaging for your industrial products is an important factor. Be sure to pay attention to these points:
- Make sure the packaging is suitable for the mode of transport.
- Make sure the packaging is suitable for your product.
- Make sure the packaging complies with legal requirements. For example, with regard to safe transport and packaging.
- Also take into account international legislation when exporting!
- Make sure the packaging is correctly labelled and that the correct documents are provided.
- Make sure you have the correct documentation for dangerous goods.
- Make sure your packaging complies with the ISPM 15 regulations.
Contact a Deufol expert to help you with this!
How to package goods for air freight and what to pay attention to?
If things have to go fast, you transport your goods by air freight. Within a few hours you can deliver your goods to the other side of the world. But beware: air freigth is expensive and strictly regulated. Your packaging for air freight must comply with a whole series of rules regarding air freight safety. Here are a few tips on proper packing of goods for air freight:
- Limit the volume and weight: keep your packaging as small and light as possible. And strong because the packaging has to be able to withstand a lot!
- Make sure your packaging complies with ISPM 15.
- Make sure your packaging is properly marked and documented.
- Goods must not be able to move during air transport, so the packaging must be sturdy and the goods must be firmly attached to the packaging.
- The packaging should be completely closed, so that no foreign objects can get into or be put into it (e.g. drugs, weapons or similar).
Badly packed air cargo causes extra costs and delays. So make sure that the packaging for air freight is perfect!
Want to know more?
How to package goods for sea freight and what to pay attention to?
A seaworthy package must meet a series of requirements. The most important are:
- regulations in the country of destination (such as ISPM 15)
- packaging requirements of the end customer
- specifications of the shipping company
- transport legislation in all transit countries
The main focus points for your maritime packaging are:
The maritime packaging must be sufficiently sturdy and your goods must be properly secured in it. It must be designed for all handling on the ship and in the port, such as lifting, transporting, stacking, securing, etc.
The packaging must provide the necessary protection for your goods! Protection against manipulations, weather influences, dirt, unexpected occurrences, etc. During transport, handling and storage. This can be:
- protection against shocks, scratches or abrasions
- protection against moisture
- protection against UV radiation
- protection against pests and dirt
- protection against theft
A seaworthy package must be clearly and completely marked:
- Markings indicating how the packaging should be handled (indications of centre of gravity, stop points etc.).
- Markings with information about the contents (dangerous goods, fragile good etc.), the sender and the recipient (so-called port marks).
Pay sufficient attention to the internal packaging of your maritime cargo. This can be:
- Clean and protect bare metal parts.
- Secure loose or moving parts in machinery.
- Support and protect delicate goods and components.
- Pack corrosion-sensitive items in vacuum with the addition of desiccant.
Provide the necessary documentation with your maritime packaging such as:
- handling certificates (such as ISPM 15)
- handling instructions
- dangerous goods declaration (in case of hazardous substances)
- shipping and export documents
The following options may also be useful if you are shipping sea freight:
- Monitor your cargo, for example via shock and tilt indicators, or via Deufol Connected Pack Control.
- Against the freezing cold: provide insulation and if necessary electrical heating in your seaworthy packaging.
Do you ship industrial goods by sea freight? Make sure you have the right maritime packaging. Trust Deufol, your industrial packaging company.
What is important when packing and shipping dangerous goods?
When you pack and ship dangerous goods, it is important to do this according to the regulations regarding dangerous goods. You want to avoid delays, fines and accidents!
Below are the most important points to consider when packing and transporting dangerous goods:
Follow the regulations for the transport of dangerous goods:
- ADR for road transport
- IMDG for maritime transport
- IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations for air transport
- RID for rail transport
Take into account mixed loading bans and bans on packing certain classes of dangerous goods together.
Take into account the correct positioning of dangerous goods packages when loading the truck or stuffing the shipping container. In a sea container, for example, the dangerous goods must always be placed at the container doors.
Use the right packaging for your dangerous goods: Packaging that has been tested and certified for your specific dangerous goods. The packaging has the right markings that confirm it is suitable for your dangerous goods. These markings differ for each class of dangerous goods.
Pack the product safely and in the correct way. Just buying UN packaging for your dangerous goods is not enough. You need to pack and ship the goods properly. Make sure you have well-trained staff.
Put the right labels on the packaging. Each class of dangerous goods has its own specific pictogram. Label your transport packaging with the correct label.
Provide the right documentation. Provide the correct documentation with your dangerous goods packages and give it to the transporter.
Conclusion: to pack and ship dangerous goods, you must have the right packaging materials and trained personnel. Make sure you are fully informed or work together with a professional packaging company. Deufol is such a packaging company.
What are the most common or best transport packaging for exporting industrial goods?
Transport packaging protects your goods during transport. It ensures that your product arrives safely and undamaged at its destination. So the packaging must be adapted to your product, the route and the mode of transport.
Deufol understands this. We provide the right packaging for your goods. This can be:
- Reusable or non-reusable wooden crates or boxes. Usually made of plywood, OSB and solid wood. The wood is ISPM 15 certified for export to other continents. If necessary, the wooden crates are reinforced with steel profiles to enable damage-free lifting and transport.
- Strong wooden or steel transport bottoms. Sometimes combined with shrink wrap to protect your product from dirt.
- Steel reusable and custom-made transport frames.
- Protective packaging for sensitive electronics and fragile goods. Such as cases with extra protective and vibration-damping mousse or protective film (e.g. VCI film or ALU film for protection against corrosion).
- Certified packaging for dangerous goods.
- Cardboard packaging or packaging made of cardboard and wood.
Make sure your products arrive at their destination without damage. Choose the right packaging, tailored to your product and the transport. Choose Deufol as your industrial packaging provider.
Can wooden export packaging be re-used?
Many export packages are only used once. This is usually because they are made for a unique project and the destination is so far away that an empty return transport is more expensive than the packaging itself.
Sometimes it makes sense to use reusable transport packaging. For packaging of serial products, smaller products or a product range with similar dimensions and weights, a reusable wooden transport box can make sense.
At Deufol we also design and produce reusable wooden export packaging. We make the wooden crates sufficiently sturdy and ensure that they can be closed and opened easily without damaging them (for example, by fitting locks or using screws instead of nails). For example, for companies that take their materials to trade fairs and demonstrations, we make reusable wooden crates that are very easy to transport and use, including locks, wheels and so on.
We also design and produce steel transport frames. Fully tailored to your products, your warehouse and your production lines. With these transport frames, you transport, store and handle your products easily, safely, ergonomically and without damage. For many years.
What is ISPM 15 and what does it mean for the packaging of my exports?
ISPM 15 (International Standards for Phytosanitary Measure 15) was drawn up by the International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC) and describes the treatment of wood used in the international movement of goods with the aim of killing organisms such as parasites in the wood. It applies mainly to means of transport such as shipping crates and pallets. It is important that your export packaging complies with ISPM 15. If not, your shipment will be refused at the border of the country of arrival.
Deufol is ISPM 15 certified and works only with ISPM 15 certified wooden packaging materials. With us you can be sure that your export packaging is ISPM 15 compliant. Want to know more? Contact a Deufol expert.
Is Deufol ISPM 15 certified?
Yes, Deufol is ISPM 15 certified. We produce our packaging according to the ISPM 15 regulations. All the wood used by Deufol is heat treated and in accordance with ISPM 15 regulations. And we receive, store and use the wood according to ISPM 15.
We put our ISPM 15 permit number on our packaging so that anywhere in the world it is clear that the packaging complies with ISPM 15. On request we can also provide the necessary certificates that you can add to your shipping documents.
Make sure your export packaging is ISPM 15 compliant. Contact a Deufol packaging expert.
What kind of packaging material should I use to pack my goods?
Which kind of packaging material you need to use depends on:
- Your product: is it fragile? Sensitive to moisture, dust or light? Can your product be recognised, or do you want it to be discrete?
- The mode(s) of transport: maritime transport, transport by road or rail, or air transport. Each mode of transport has its own packaging requirements.
- The destination: make sure your packaging material meets the requirements of the country of destination.
- The treatment and possible storage: make sure that the packaging is suitable for the treatments that may take place en route or at the destination. If your products are going to be stored for a while - either inside or outside - make sure that the packaging is suitable for this as well.
Do you have doubts about the packaging material you should use? Know that Deufol is a reliable packaging company. Check out our web shop or contact a Deufol packaging expert for advice.
When do I need to protect my goods from moisture (during transport or storage)?
Your product can come into contact with moisture if it is unprotected outside or during transport (precipitation, dew). However, products that are sensitive to moisture can also be damaged when stored or packaged indoors. For example, due to temperature fluctuations, condensation can occur in a sea container, a truck, and even in the packaging.
If your product is sensitive to moisture, you need to protect it. Make sure your packaging protects your product from moisture!
This can be done, for example, by packing your product in an airtight package with aluminum foil and desiccant or packaging with VCI foil.
Do you have questions on corrosion protective packaging?
How can I protect my goods against moisture during transport?
You can protect your goods against moisture (precipitation, dew, condensation and humidity) by wrapping them airtight in aluminium foil combined with desiccant. Packaging with VCI film is also an option. Deufol can help you with this. We have the necessary expertise to pack your goods in moisture-proof packaging.
How can I protect my outsized goods against dirt during storage and (maritime) transport?
To protect your oversized goods against dirt and rain during transport and storage, you can wrap them in shrink wrap. Also for maritime transport, shrink wrap can be a good and inexpensive packaging solution.
Shrink wrap is strong, wind and rain resistant. And it stays in place, does not chafe or flap. Shrink wrap is a relatively cheap packaging material and easy to apply. So it's a cost-conscious way of packaging.
By packaging in shrink wrap, you protect oversized goods against dust, dirt, sun (discolouration) and all other weather influences. For a long time. The packaging looks sleek and professional. And it is discreet, because your product is invisible.
Markings such as your brand name, serial number or the destination can be applied to the shrink wrap. If your product has stop ends that are used to secure it during transport or lifted during loading and unloading, these can be left free during the packaging process with shrink wrap. Zip doors can also be installed, for example to allow customs inspections.
The shrink wrap used by Deufol is easy to remove and recycle at the destination.
The shrink wrap is placed over your goods and then heated. By heating, the foil shrinks nicely around your product.
Applying shrink wrap - especially for oversized goods - is a job for specialists. Such as Deufol. Talk to a Deufol packaging expert about your project.
Do I have to send my industrial products to a packaging company for packaging?
No. Sometimes you cannot or will not transport your product unpacked to a packaging company. In such cases, the packaging must take place at your site. Deufol has mobile packing teams that will pack your goods in your production halls. We bring all the necessary materials with us. And if you wish, we can take your packaged goods with us to transport them to their final destination. Our mobile packing teams are well-equipped and trained to pack your goods professionally and safely.
Can I buy packing materials and pack my goods myself?
Yes, you certainly can. Just make sure that you buy the right packaging materials and that your employees are well-trained. After all, your products must be packaged and transported safely and according to the legal regulations in order to arrive at their destination undamaged and on time. The right packaging is essential for this!
The DEUFOL WEBSHOP is the right place for you. You will find packaging and packaging materials that DEUFOL, as a professional packer, works with on a daily basis.
Do you have doubts in choosing the right packaging material? Are you unsure of the proper packaging method?
We will be happy to help you!
When should I use a sea container for the transport of my goods?
Sea containers (also called shipping containers or maritime containers) are reusable transport and storage units for products and raw materials. They are suitable for transport, storage and handling of all kinds of goods and are widely used in the shipping industry.
If you need to transport your goods over long distances, by sea or rail, and your cargo fits into a shipping container, this is probably the best option.
There are different types of shipping containers.
Choose the right shipping container for your cargo and load it correctly. Deufol can help you with this. Contact us for more information.
What are the most common types of shipping containers?
There are different types of shipping containers. The most common are standard "Dry Van" DV containers (which come in sizes 20', 40', 40' HC and 45' High Cube), open top containers (with sizes 20' and 40'), flat rack containers (in sizes 20' and 40' HC), refrigerated containers (called refridgerated containers or reefers, they come in sizes 20' and 40' HC) and tank containers for liquids (come in 20' and 40').
Choose the right shipping container for your cargo and load it correctly. Deufol can help you with this. Contact us for more information.
What is important when loading a sea container?
Important when loading a sea container:
- Choose the right shipping container for your goods. There are different types of shipping containers. The most common are standard "DV" containers (20', 40' HC and 45' HC), open top containers (20' and 40'), flat rack containers (20' and 40' HC), reefers (20' and 40' HC) and tank containers (20' and 40').
- Stow and secure the goods in the container. This can be done in various ways. For example with straps, chains or ropes. In addition, fillers (inflatable dunnage bags) or dunnage can be used if there is space between the cargo. The cargo should certainly not fall out of the container when the doors are opened!
- Make sure that the weight of the cargo is equally distributed in the container. Place lighter goods above heavier ones. Take into account the maximum allowed weight and make sure you have a VGM certificate (Verified Gross Mass).
- Are you loading dangerous goods in the sea container? Make sure you have the right packaging and the right accompanying documents. Always stuff dangerous goods at the rear (exit) of a maritime container!
- Make sure you seal the container after stuffing and put the seal number on your shipping documents, the Bill of Lading etc.
Deufol can help you with all of this. Contact us for more information.
What is VGM (Verified Gross Mass) of a maritime container?
VGM stands for Verified Gross Mass. Providing a correct VGM is necessary for further safe handling of the sea freight. Without a valid VGM certificate, your container will be refused in the seaport. So you need a correct VGM certificate, or your container will not be placed on board the ship. An VGM certificate can only be issued by companies that have a license for this. Deufol has a VGM license and can therefore provide this VGM certificate immediately upon loading the shipping container. You save time and money. Contact our experts for more information!
Apart from proper packaging, what else is important when exporting my goods?
In addition to proper export packaging for your goods, you should also take care of the following:
- Plan and book the right transport.
- If you are transporting your goods by sea container: load the container correctly and take care of a VGM certificate.
- If you are transporting dangerous goods: provide the correct accompanying documents.
- Provide the correct transport documents.
- Take care of the correct customs declaration.
- If necessary, you can take an extra insurance for the transport.
- Ensure proper identification of your packaging. This is especially important for longer transports during which your freight is transshipped and/or temporarily stored.
Make sure you have sufficient knowledge for this. Or reliable partners. Know that we at Deufol can help you with this.
What products can Deufol pack for me?
Deufol packages a very wide range of products. From small valuable products to large and heavy outsized cargo. Weight and size are not important to us. We pack for all modes of transport: sea freight, air freight, road transport or rail transport.
The most common products we pack are industrial goods such as machines and machine parts. But we also pack works of art, designer furniture, vintage cars and even live animals. We package dangerous products, high-tech and electronic products that need specific protection.
We package goods from very different sectors. Such as general industry, energy, infrastructure and mechanical engineering. But we also pack products from the automotive, healthcare and aviation industries.
Ask us whether we can also pack your products.
How does the packaging process work at Deufol?
First, we discuss your packaging project with you. We gather the necessary information, discuss your general requirements and perform a needs analysis.
On this basis, we draw up a packaging proposal and a packaging quotation, which we discuss with you.
After approval, we schedule the implementation of the packaging with you. From then on, we start the preparations and our packaging team takes over the packaging of your goods. Our project follow-up will assist you throughout the process. You can contact them with all your questions and to discuss any other additional needs, such as storage, transport, customs clearance and many other logistics and packaging services.
Do you need a reliable partner for the packaging of your goods?
What makes Deufol better than other packaging companies?
Many companies offer transport and export packaging of industrial goods, but few have the experience and expertise of Deufol. Expertise in packaging and logistics.
Deufol is at your service with over 2,500 colleagues in 12 countries. Our sites are well located - near seaports, inland ports and airports - and well equipped. Our colleagues are well trained to handle and package your goods.
You get the same professional approach and reliable service from Deufol everywhere. Both packaging and other supply chain services, such as warehousing, transport, customs and much more.
By choosing Deufol as your industrial packaging partner, you are choosing the right partner.
What is important when moving a machine or an industrial installation?
Moving a large and heavy machine involves the necessary risks. Such machines are often valuable and sometimes fragile. So, there are many reasons to organise the machine removal correctly.
What do you have to think of when moving machines? Here are a few important tips:
- Put together a team of people with the right knowledge and skills. Both people who know the machine and people who have experience with industrial removals, packaging and transport.
- Draw up a project plan with the most important steps, deadlines and goals. That way, everyone is pointing in the same direction.
- Provide the right working materials. Both for dismantling and assembly and for internal movements, but also for loading and unloading, such as the right lifting equipment.
- Determine the shipping method, but also plan and book the right transport.
- Determine the packaging and match it to the mode of transport, the destination and your machine. Especially for oversized cargo and maritime transport, the right packaging is essential to optimally protect your machine. Machines usually contain moisture and shock sensitive electronic equipment. Make sure the packaging protects the machine from shocks and humidity. Choose a reliable packaging company.
- In addition to well-planned transport, take care of customs clearance.
- Plan assembly on site, including travel and accommodation for the staff involved.
Deufol can help you with your industrial relocation project. Contact a Deufol expert to discuss it.
How can I streamline my supply chain and save costs?
Do you have a complex supply chain? With multiple production sites, many suppliers and a host of customers or project destinations? Then the cost of transport to and from all these locations can be high. And costs for storage and packaging at multiple locations can also be expensive.
You can streamline (part of) your supply chain by gathering your goods in one place, packaging them there and exporting them. This can save you costs. Think for example of:
- reduction of transports
- lower warehousing costs through less dispersed storage and cheaper warehouse space
- handling (storage, packaging and shipping) of your goods by 1 team of packaging experts and logisticians. This is usually more productive and cheaper than organising it in different places.
Deufol has logistics and packaging hubs for consolidating, stocking, packing and exporting your industrial goods. Want to know more?
How do I choose the best transport for my industrial goods?
You want your goods to arrive at their destination on time and undamaged. Transport is an important link in this process. You choose the transport in function of:
- the point of departure and the destination (what are the possibilities for loading and unloading?)
- the distance and the delivery time (urgent deliveries have to be sent by air freight, for example)
- the characteristics of your freight (is it outsize freight? Are they dangerous or fragile goods? etc.)
Discuss this with a reliable transport company. This will help you avoid delays, unexpected extra costs, damage and dissatisfied customers.
Currently no partner for your transport needs? Please note that Deufol has a large network of professional transport companies. Partners who carry out all types of transport and have built up years of expertise in this field.
So don't hesitate to contact us. We can help you choose and book the right transport for your goods.
PS: make sure you have the right packaging too! Choose Deufol, your packaging expert!
What kind of warehouse do I need to store heavy and large industrial goods?
A warehouse for storing industrial goods needs equipment to handle (load, unload, move) these industrial - sometimes heavy and large - goods. This includes sufficiently heavy forklift trucks, overhead cranes etc.
In addition to loading docks, the warehouse should also have one or more large access gates through which large and heavy goods can be received and shipped.
Pallet racks can be useful for smaller goods, such as spare parts. For larger parts and machines that cannot be placed on the floor, it is best to provide steel or wooden structures, such as cradles (for cylindrical objects) or elephant legs.
For longer-term storage, also provide suitable packaging that protects your products from dust, dirt, moisture and other possible damage.
Do you need to store your industrial goods for a while? Know that Deufol can help you. Contact a Deufol expert.
How can I reduce transport costs through smart packaging of my industrial goods?
Transport costs can increase. Especially if you export industrial goods. Think about the right packaging in advance. It has an impact on your transport costs. It affects sea freight, road freight and especially air freight. At Deufol, we design the packaging with the product in mind, as well as the transport. We keep the packaging as small and light as possible. We try to keep the dimensions appropriate for transport, for example by ensuring that it fits easily into a truck or sea container without losing too much space. We provide solid stackable packaging so that the number of transports or sea containers is reduced to a minimum. With the right packaging, we save a lot of transport costs. Leave the packaging of your industrial goods to Deufol.
How can I save on the storage cost of my packaging?
If you store a stock of all your packaging types, you will quickly use up a lot of storage space. And your storage costs increase. You can limit the packaging and packaging materials you stock by storing only a minimum amount yourself and ensuring that your supplier replenishes your minimum stock on a regular basis and on demand. This is possible at Deufol. If you have an idea of your annual consumption and an estimate of your monthly requirements, Deufol will deliver the packaging, e.g. wooden export crates, to you regularly and on demand. Perfectly assembled or in a package to be assembled, so that you only have to put the products in the crate and close it.
You buy packaging materials cheaper because you order in larger quantities. You save on storage costs because you don't have to store everything yourself.
How does Deufol use digitisation?
A good insight into and control over your packaging activities and your goods flows helps you to improve your supply chain. It keeps your finger on the pulse, allows you to react appropriately and keep costs under control. This gives you an advantage over your competitors. Deufol is constantly developing digital solutions to manage and improve our packaging and logistics processes. This enables us to give you the professional and reliable service you deserve! Here are a few examples:
- DEUFOL BOXCAD: Deufol uses a programme developed in-house for the design and production of our wooden export packaging. This enables us to design the right export crates for your product and its journey. We also optimise the use of packaging materials. In addition, the design guarantees that we can produce the same packaging for you in any Deufol site. Contact a DEUFOL expert to see how we can use BOXCAD to create the right packaging for your project.
- DEUFOL PHOTODOCU: this Deufol app allows us to record important steps in the packaging or logistics process with photos. For you. Read more about it here.
- DEUFOL CONNECTED PACK CONTROL: monitor your goods during transport or handling: continuously. At any location. At any time. Read more about it here.